The Design-Build Process: Is It Ideal For Your Project?
Design-build, in the construction industry, refers to a technique where businesses offer full-project execution, design, and delivery for a wide range of projects on commercial construction. Project owners get into a contract with only the design-builder unlike in traditional processes where they had separate contracts for the designer and the contractor.
It is suitable for a variety of new construction projects. It has grown to be one of the most preferred methods of delivering construction projects in many parts of the United States.
Things You Need to Know About the Design-Build Process
- Contrary to what most people believe, you do not lose control of your project. You will still be involved as much as you wish. If an engineer leads your project, you may participate in the pre-con period. You can express your wishes at that point, and your engineer will implement them. Even when you are not involved, you may still receive updates and presentations on the progress.
- Design-build can be more cost-efficient than other methods. Getting the total budget at the beginning is easy. Your design-build firm creates a budget and tries to stick to it through the entire construction process. If you find a firm with the expertise to develop a realistic and accurate budget, you get to know the amount you are going to spend right from the beginning. It saves on opportunity costs that you may experience with traditional design methods. Since it is fast, owners of projects don’t need to spend a lot of time managing them.
Why a Design-Build Process May Be Good For Your Project
- Fast Results. One of the most alluring features of a design-build process is that it gives fast delivery. It is fast because the processes of design and construction happen at the same time.
- Seamless Processes. One of the most significant sources of frustration for most construction projects is poor coordination of teams. If the design team and the construction team are not able to work smoothly, the process could be unnecessarily long and unpleasant. Design-build gets rid of that problem by creating just one team instead of two. There is no room for contractors and architects to bring in power struggles and different recommendations.
- Better Communication and Value. The teamwork in the process fosters good communication skills. It promotes a collaborative effort which may help you get improved value.
If you are looking for design-builders, find a builder with few callbacks and a team that focuses on quality service. Contact Miller Architects & Builders in MN on 1 800 772-1758 they have experience in the business, and they are dedicated to providing excellent service for every client.
Comments are closed for this post, but if you have spotted an error or have additional info that you think should be in this post, feel free to contact us.