The Miller Architects & Builders you know today traces a family tradition back to Fred H. Miller—a youthful immigrant from Germany who arrived in Nebraska in 1874 and took up the carpenter's trade. Read about how Fred Miller’s passion for carpentry and building created the legacy known as Miller Architects & Builders.
Fred H. Miller was born in Scheissenghausen, Neinburg, Germany in 1857 and moved to American in 1974 at the age of 17. He located in Lincoln, Nebraska, and there, he learned the carpentry trade. Fred’s eldest son, Wilhelm Miller, also chose carpentry and contracting as his trade. Wilhelm’s work was primarily remodeling and specialty work, known as barn straightening and repair for farm buildings.
From 1900-1930, Woilhelm continued with farm building repair and construction and barn straightening. He ventured into worship construction some time in 1916.
Wilhelm’s eldest son, Albert “Al” Miller, joined him in the trade.
Albert F. Miller expanded the business in farm repair and new farm construction, working in areas of North and South Dakota and Minnesota. Albert proceeded to expand the business into residential and commercial remodeling.
Albert unexpectedly passed away, and the business was taken over by his wife and eldest son, James “Jim” W. Miller. A year later, Jim Miller purchased the business from his mother and continued with farm construction. A short time later, he started to build new homes, residential remodeling work, and construction work.
A division was added to the company too construct pre-engineered steel buildings and pursue commercial and industrial building.
Miller Lumber and Supply was formed to sell retail construction materials.
Miller Construction was Incorporated.
Miller hired its first architectural draftsman and set up its own drafting department.
Miller Lumber and Supply became Miller Home Improvement Center.
The Real Estate Division was formed. In the same year, Tim and Dan Miller started working with their father, Jim Miller.
Miller purchased Penalt & Truzinski Architects to provide design-build services. In the same year, the Wausau Department was formed to market factory build homes.
The company expanded into multiple dwelling construction (apartments) as a separate division.
The Property Management Division was added in 1976 to help manage the Real Estate Division.
The company expanded in motel building and management as a separate division. Prime Rate Inc. formed, which was a franchised motel chain that Miller built and managed.
In the early 1980s, Miller saw the construction industry in a recession that affected many construction firms. Miller did some re-evaluating, slimmed down some of the divisions, and moved forward.
Tim and Dan Miller purchased the construction and architectural business from their father Jim Miller. To this day, Jim Miller still owns and runs Miller Properties and Investments.
Tim and Dan Miller changed the company name from Miller Construction to Miller Architects & Builders.
Miller Architects & Builders added Median Construction Division.
Dan Miller purchased the construction and architectural business from his brother Tim.
Dan Miller partnered in ownership with Joe Seifert (President) and Dave TeBrake (Executive Vice President)—two long-standing employees.
Miller Architects & Builders continues to expand in the Midwest with design and construction for funeral homes, worship facilities, senior health care, hotels, manufacturing/industrial, commercial/retail, and multi-family projects. Miller Architecture Inc. is growing with expansion into municipal and educational facilities.
Brad Torok, AIA, Director of Architecture, joined the ownership of Miller Architects & Builders along with Dan Miller, Joe Seifert, and Dave TeBrake. Brad has been employed with Miller since 1992.
As Miller Architects & Builders continues to expand its footprint, we remain rooted in the philosophy that was forged through our commitment to delivering the highest quality design and construction services.